A well known Japanese proverb reads... "One kind word can warm three winter months."
A word, an action, one simple flaunt of warmth is more than you can ever imagine to someone. From saying Good Morning wishes to volunteering on any good task, there are number of ways to pass along kindness. The little things in life, which in fact end up being exceptionally priceless!
Most people want to make a difference, they're just not sure how. Luckily, there are many simple and easy ways to make a difference in your local area.
This morning I was browsing for random acts of kindness and here are few:
1. Smile - Sometimes, all it takes is a smile to a stranger. For example: to sales people, cashiers, delivery people, waiters/waitresses and the like. They always get nothing but the best smile which really seems to make their day, smiling is free and it never hurts.
2. Words - Speaking a word or two, cracking a simple joke, asking few questions like ‘How are you doing today?’, ‘Had your lunch?’, ‘Greetings’, ‘Asking for their name’ will make someone feel good amidst their hectic and daily routines.
“During my second year of nursing school our professor gave us a quiz. I breezed through the questions until I read the last one: "What is the first name of the woman who cleans the school?" Surely this was a joke. I had seen the cleaning woman several times, but how would I know her name? I handed in my paper, leaving the last question blank. Before the class ended, one student asked if the last question would count toward our grade. "Absolutely," the professor said. "In your careers, you will meet many people. All are significant. They deserve your attention and care, even if all you do is smile and say hello." I've never forgotten that lesson. I also learned her name was Dorothy. à Joann C. Jones”
3. Compliment - Find one good thing about everyone you come in contact with, and complement them on it. Comment on the character attribute, not looks.
4. Kindness - Do one act of kindness a day, to someone who you wouldn't ordinarily do it.
5. Patience - Have more patience with people. Listen to people who need someone to hear them.
I also came across these commitments which we can imbibe in us to make this world a better place, one person and one day at a time.
1. When you have a good idea, or that feeling in your gut that tells you that you have to do something, just do it and don't question yourself.
2. Try to go a whole day without thinking one negative thought, only good thoughts about everyone and everything.
3. Keep a thankfulness journal, and write all the things you are grateful for, everyday. You'll be surprised in the little miracles in your life.
4. A greener planet. Why not start now, by making sure our planet will be happy and healthy enough?!!
5. Mediation and Yoga. This is a personal suggestion to me because I truly believe I need it. (and I think it will help with my patience!)
6. READ & WRITE. KEEP READING & WRITING.
7. To never hold a grudge, you never know how little time you have left with someone.
8. To always be thankful for what I have and to not be wasteful, someone always has it worse off than me.
9. Kindness and sincerity makes the world go round so to be kind to those I care about and those I don't. One act of kindness can change a person's life.
10. Be grateful for those in my life, you don't have to have a lot of money to be a rich person. If your surrounded by those who care about you and who you care about in return, you are extremely well off.
11. Reduce, recycle and reuse. Don't waste!!!
12. Most importantly DO NOT WASTE FOOD!!! Like everyday, I prepare what is more than required, I order for more than required and the leftovers are into the garbage bags. We need to think of the people who do not get food to eat!!!
13. Do not negatively compare yourself with others. Everyone has their unique gift and appreciate the goodness in you.
14. Unplug all the random house hold objects that really don’t need to be plugged in constantly as in: cell phone charger, Computer, Hairdryer, Radio, Lamps, toaster, Coffee maker etc. Always make sure to switch off the lights when not in use. Switch off the mains when you leave your house. Turn off the gas when not in use.
20. Reduce your footprint...It's little things like this that make the world a better place.
Click here to read about the image in this post: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lauralippay/4186404292/